• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sore knees

ThaiDie4

Bluelighter
Lately when I've been working out, my knees get really sore. They stay that way for the rest of the day, and I can't figure out why this is happening. I've never had knee problems in my life, no injuries or anything. I don't do anything particularly strenuous, my cardio is usually either using the elliptical machine or walking on an incline on the treadmill. Even when I used to run I never got sore knees!

Any ideas on what this could be? Is it something I should just work through and see if it goes away?

I was thinking it might be that I need new running shoes, but mine seem to be in good shape and I am reluctant to buy new ones if I don't need them. I've had them like 2 years, but haven't really used them regularly until this past month.

My first reaction was going to be: you need new shoes. Or just insole gel supports. You could always get those knee support things that you wear while you work out. Walking on the incline on the treadmill is really hard on your knees. You could only do that like once or twice a week and do something else for the rest. Going uphill is a lot harder on your knees and shins than going flat or downhill.

Damn hun, I've always suffered knee pain and it sucks huh!! Knees can be really pesky joints if they're not looked after properly so please be careful.

Okay, first things first, no you shouldn't work through it and hope that it goes away! Pain shouldn't be ignored, especially if it's happening every time you work out.

A few things you might want to consider:

*See a physio to get initial pain relief, and to discuss how you're working-out to see if you need to alter the ways you're doing certain exercises.

*Strap your knees/wear knee support bands while you work out and do your cardio, for extra support.

*Focus on strengthening the muscles around your knees for extra support, i.e. leg weights like quad curls etc.

*Find a lower-impact cardio exercise that doesn't exacerbate the knee pain, e.g. cycling or swimming.

I find that the elliptical machine really hurts my knees too, I think it's because the joint isn't ever allowed to complete its full range of movement? So I avoid using the elliptical machine now.

Also, I take glucosamine supplements every day to *hopefully* give extra support to the joints. There is no conclusive evidence to say this actually works but the data is pointing in that direction so I'm taking the supplements in hopes that it helps :D

I hope some of that helps you hun! <3

More likely than not, this is just something that has come about from a combination of getting back into a exercise routine and (unfortunately) just one of the ills of no longer being a invincible teenager. In a way, though, it's kind of like muscle soreness for a lifter who is very new, or just changed up a routine. Time is typically your best friend. It will get better in time (for 95% of us young people, but if it does NOT, then definately seek a doctor's help). I know that when I add (leg-intensive) cardio to my routines every now and then, my knees and shins get sore. It sucks, but it does get easier over time.

Give yourself enough rest time between workouts (even if it means going every other day or every three days). This should go away in time, though. Wrap your knees up afterward if they are sore, and take a painkiller if it's really bad. Also, be sure to stretch properly before and after your cardio sessions. Don't be scared, though. You're not old enough to have to seriously worry about knee pain (it's a necessary evil as opposed to a precursor of something really bad). It will go away if you keep up with your routine for a few more weeks.

As firefighter said, running *upward* on a tredmill is harder on your knees than running outside, as well as other cadio exercises. This, as opposed to the elliptical, is probably what is causing the pain (sorry n3o, agree to disagree :) ). Look into trying some other cardio machines instead, and see how you feel after that. Or try a rowing machine. Heck, or even jump rope. If you are turned off by the idea of having to rest for days because of your knees, there are other cardio-intense routines out there that don't really mess with your knees, so you can always alternate :)

Glucosamine, portein and calcium supplements may also help you, and at least will not hurt you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys!

I will look into getting some insoles until I get enough money to buy new shoes (thanks for the idea Firefighter!). Im trying to stretch $300 until August (when I start work), so I really am not able to get good quality shoes at the moment :|

I agree that strengthening the muscles around my knees would probably help me out- I didn't really think of that, but I'm sure I've lost a lot of muscle mass since my running\soccer days. Hopefully doing some strength training will help out with that :)

Appriciate the alternate suggestions N3o and Redleader :D I'm not currently a member of a gym, but I think this problem has convinced me to join one- I don't have access to a row machine or pool at my house. All I have is a treadmill. The gym near my house has decent rates for students, so I might start going.

I actually just started drinking this protien powder with added calcium, so maybe this will help too.

Thanks guys!! <3

I agree that strengthening the muscles around my knees would probably help me out- I didn't really think of that, but I'm sure I've lost a lot of muscle mass since my running\soccer days. Hopefully doing some strength training will help out with that :)

Is the pain more in the front of your knee, like on the cap, or in the tendons behind it?

A good thing you can do at home, before you join the gym, or on days you don't go to the gym, to strengthen these muscles are walking lunges. I'm not joking when I describe this.

Fill up two empty jugs of milk (the ones that contain multiple gallons, whatever they're called) with water. Hold these in your hands (they can mimic dumbells) and do walking lunges across your backyard.

These WILL make your legs sore, but it will be your muscles and not your knees, so don't freak out about the pain.

Fill up two empty jugs of milk (the ones that contain multiple gallons, whatever they're called) with water. Hold these in your hands (they can mimic dumbells) and do walking lunges across your backyard.

You forgot the 2 first steps:
*Get a video camera
*Aim and press record
*Proceed with said milk-bottle lunges
=D

Two years on the same shoes is way too long. You need new shoes. I'd strongly consider substituting a lower impact exercise---spinning if you don't have access to a pool---until you can get new shoes.

Also:

Are you stretching properly, before and after, working out? Are you warming up properly? This sounds like it might simply be a training error.

Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements can be helpful for arthritis.

Everything above is good advice.

if it's general soreness, it's likely just some imbalance/weakness that causes your knee to flex just a little out of alignment (google "runner's knee" for more info). the stronger your legs (especially the minor stability muscles), the more efficient and healthy your stride will be no matter what you're doing. some tips:

-glucosamine/chondroitin (i love it)

-ibuprofen/ice immediately after exercise

-exercises for upper and lower leg. there's a great list here.

-stretches for the IT band

-stride drills (high-knees, butt-kicks, etc.)

obviously dis-regard if you have intense, localized pain.

I would be changing the exercise routine, or reduce at the moment and rest your knees.
You may have overused the knee joint and caused some strain to your Anterior Cruciate Ligament ligaments.

Can be related to overuse where small stresses are repeated a large number of times
without allowing adequate recovery, for example running too much too soon,
or walking on the incline or other machines you may use that place extra strain on your knee ligaments. Injuries you sustain-can be acute or mild-where the injury is caused by an impact
or twisting such asthe anterior cruciate ligament injury.
An overuse injury can also be considered to be acute if it is painful or inflammed.

A knee support or knee brace provides protection and support.
They prevent injury to healthy joints and support unstable joints.

A hinged knee brace is likely to provide the best support for the knee
and contains metal reinforcements in the sides which are connected by a hinge in the middle.
Some knee braces use a geared hinge system in the middle which means the pivot point of the support moves as the knee bends (because the pivot point of the knee changes as it bends) providing a more snug fit.

This provides excellent lateral support to protect the medial and lateral ligaments
and knee joint in general.

No support can guarantee protection to the anterior cruciate ligament as it only requires
just a few degrees of twisting to damage it.

Most certainly rest your knees, and see a physio, you may use a brace to support it.

^ Thanks everyone for the tips! My knees have been doing better, which kind of leads me to think maybe it was just from being out of shape or something. However, I will defiently get some new shoes ASAP and give the supplements a try. Is gloucosimine found in multi-vitamin, or is it something specific that I need to buy??

And thanks for the reminder about the stride exercizes Double Ewe! I knew there was a reason I used to have to do those at track practice LOL.

Do you do weight training on your legs like leg press / leg extension / squats? I find that when I don't do these often, my knees start to hurt. Doing them strengthens my knees I think.

Glucosamine is usually found in Joint formula. Its kinda pricey sometimes. Its often mixed with Chondrotin or MSM (other common joint therapy stuffs).

However, I will defiently get some new shoes ASAP and give the supplements a try. Is gloucosimine found in multi-vitamin, or is it something specific that I need to buy??

And thanks for the reminder about the stride exercizes Double Ewe! I knew there was a reason I used to have to do those at track practice LOL.

i'm not sure if you have them in your area or not, but it's a really good idea to find a specialty running store when you get a new pair of shoes for the first time in a while. they'll watch you run, analyze your stride/foot-strike/etc. and be able to give you a great recommendation. you don't have to run out and get a new pair immediately, but if you continue having problems, you might want to do a little less running for a while (and substitute something lower impact . . swimming, elliptical, bike, etc.).

and yeah . . gluchosamine/chondroitin are often sold together in a single supplement, but not in a multi-vitamin. a little expensive, but i can usually find them at somewhere like wal-mart for pretty cheap.

If you have access to a bike, I would put that into the routine. It is less impact on the knees. Also, make sure you are stretching all of the time.

And I know I keep harping this all over the forum, but yoga is a tremendous way to tone up and stay healthy :)

^ Thanks so much for the advice!! As I stated, I'm low on money right now, but I will make it a priority to get new shoes and supplements as soon as I can. It sounds like that would be the best idea to make sure this doesn't become a serious problem.

And yes Double Ewe, we have a great running specialty store called Fleet Feet in my city. That's where I used to get all my running shoes\gear back when I raced. The people there are really knowledgable, like you said, and have always helped me a lot.

I agree that biking and other forms of cardio would probably be a good idea. And I will give yoga a try for sure! I still want to try to run, but maybe switch it up sometimes so that I'm not constantly bearing down on those joints.

I just want to say I REALLY appriciate everyone taking the time to help me here!! I've gotten a lot of great suggestions :) Thank you!!!

glucosamine is subtle and will take awhile (several weeks) to have any noticeable effect in my experience. I also found that it gives your joints a "fresh" feeling which is great but when you go to exercise can be painful because it feels like the first time you ever went to the gym all over again.

we have a great running specialty store called Fleet Feet in my city.
I went there in CT a couple of weeks ago! I haven't been running in months so I have yet to really test them out. I need a partner. I do not enjoy solitary exercise.

I have had intermittent knee pain for years. I started 1500 mg of glucosamine and within 3 weeks it lessened. I was already taking 2000mg of fish oil daily which is reported to lessen pain and inflammation. 2 tablespoons of flax oil (in my post work out protein shake) which is proposed to shorten recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion, increase the body's production of energy and stamina, and accelerate the healing of sprains and bruises.

I had been to an orthopedic surgeon years ago for the same pain and was told I had weak ligaments compared to the surrounding leg muscle and recommended PT...which I never did. I wanted to make sure I wasn't repeatedly injuring myself and making an issue worse.

What I know is that when I don't take supplements the pain returns forcefully. I would get a sharp pain in the front part of my left knee>right when I sat on the toilet which scared me!

I also do my squats and lunges slow and concentrated. Even if the instructor of the class is going quicker. Safety first. Listen to your body.

I am so pleased for you ThaiDie that you remain committed to healthy living!

Aww thank you P.I. :) I'm enjoying trying to be healthier!!! I feel so much better about myself.

And I totally agree about doing exercizes slowly, and concentrating on form. I eliminated a lot of my knee pain just from controlling my lunges better, and making sure not to let my knee go over my toe. Good advice, as always <3

I didn't know they had Fleet Feet in other states, for some reason I thought it was just a local\regional place... guess not. That's cool :) I'll go running with you!! hehe. I'll do my best to keep up!!

I'll go running with you!! hehe. I'll do my best to keep up!!
Hardly! The most I can run is 2 miles. I stopped "training" myself it as I wasn't enjoying it...and my knees hurt. Hmmm, perhaps next summer we will meet. Virginia (Richmond or Roanoke) is top of our list. I am waiting for employers to get back to me.